Friday, March 12, 2010

My computer fan is kicking on high every few minutes, help!

Add newsletters@cnet.online.com to your address book to ensure CNET newsletters reach your inbox.

CNET Reviews
March 12, 2010
My computer fan is kicking on high every few minutes, help!

Dear CNET members,

Happy Friday! It's always wonderful to hear back from a member when I present their questions to the community. This week, Betsy, the original author of this week's Q&A about her fan kicking into high gear every few minutes, e-mailed me to thank you all for your suggestions and advice--give her note a read here. The part of her e-mail that I love most is "There are more helpful and caring people who read CNET than I would have ever imagined." This is all you folks, who are so willing to jump in and help another individual out in need, this shows a lot about your individual characters and I really appreciate all of you! And that's not all, Betsy, who goes under the CNET user name morninglory, is in this current discussion. She is actively reading your advice and replied to a few answers. Here's one of her posts. Betsy, I hope you continue to read on because it's always good to get your feedback so that our members can nail down a solution for you.

In the Q&A section, I have selected a few member solutions to get you all started to help identify some of the possibility of why a fan would kick into high gear intermittently. As with this type of issue, diagnosing the culprit is no walk in the park because the problem source can vary. The best advice I can give is to try the members' solutions--at least those you can easily do yourself--and if those don't work, seek help from friends or family or take it to a pro. There are a lot of great solutions, so please read through this week's discussion thoroughly to find out what could be going on in your machine. Thanks to all who contributed and have a great weekend!

Cheers!
- Lee


Got suggestions? Send me an e-mail: messageboards@cnet.com

Lee Koo
Lee Koo
CNET Community manager
Last week's question
My computer fan is kicking on high every few minutes, help!
QuestionI am at my wit's end. I'm going to try and be concise and to the point. My HP Pavilion desktop (Windows XP SP3 Media Center edition) got a nasty virus, and the local shop wiped the hard drive and reinstalled it for $90 flat fee. It will never be as it was before the virus, but I expected that. The real problem is the computer's fan; it kicks on high every few minutes and then goes back to normal speed. There is no dust or dirt inside the case and the fans are clean. I took it to another tech who reset the CMOS and didn't charge me anything. The fan never kicked up on high when it was in his shop, but when I got home it started up again. It's like when you call the TV repairman and it works perfectly while he's at your house. I have run all my scans, virus, spyware, malware, etc. Everything is clean. I don't use my computer for any work, just e-mail, news, a few online games and general stuff (no Facebook, Twitter, adult sites). I just hope it's not the processor and I've never had this symptom before. Thanks for any help at all.

-- Submitted by: Betsy in North Carolina

AnswerFeatured member solutions
for last week's question:

 "Fan problems "
-- Submitted by: waytron

 "Intermittent fan "
-- Submitted by: Boogaloo

 "Here's a few things to check "
-- Submitted by: J_M_DeAngelo

 "Fan, heat sinks, & temperatures "
-- Submitted by: Enforcer

 "This is likely a driver problem... "
-- Submitted by: Watzman

 "Thermal paste "
-- Submitted by: amirat

 "Check the processor's heat sink connection "
-- Submitted by: LarryH

 Read all member contributions

 Thanks to all who contributed!

Previous questions and answers
1. How do I back up my e-mails from free online mail accounts?

2. Help me keep my Windows 7 machine running lean, clean, and mean

3. What's your take on online backup services?

4. Please help me find a cost-effective way to secure my flash drive

5. Windows XP: How do I completely remove items in my start-up folder?

 All previous Community newsletters
Community buzz
1. Duplicate svchost.exe slowing computer?

2. Windows 7 Compatibility Wizard is crap!

3. Can a cheap surge protector cut down the life of my new HDTV?

4. HDMI cable debate: High-end vs. low-end

5. iPhone app development: Adobe Flash CS 5, when?

6. Netbook or iPad?

7. Camcorders tips and buying advice

8. What are your Blackberry pain points?

 More from the CNET forums

Mac nugget
1. Help! Transfer data from old iMac new iMac

2. Is anyone else suddenly having problems with JavaScript?

3. PowerBook G4 400 Titanium won't boot.

4. Hidden partition?

 More from the Mac OS forum
Security alerts and updates
1. Microsoft security bulletins for March 2010

2. News - March 12, 2010

3. Virus and spyware alerts - March 12, 2010

4. Updates - March 12, 2010

5. Vulnerabilities and fixes - March 12, 2010

 More from the security forum
Check out next week's question:
Help me move my files and contacts from Windows XP to my new Windows 7 machine
Next week's questionMy son gave me a gorgeous new HP laptop for Christmas. My daughter gave me the coordinating printer-scanner-copier-fax combo. My youngest son gave me the wireless router and set it up for me. Now my problems begin. My old desktop computer (about 5 years old) ran on Windows XP and I was very comfortable with it. I loved Outlook Express, my new computer says "Goodbye to O.E." Hello to Windows Live Messenger. I don't know how to import all my e-mail addresses and the rest of the information in my address book. Do you have any ideas? Also, I can't seem to get Live Messenger going, so I'm going to my provider's Web-based e-mail. It's very hard on me. Of course, I also don't know how to import my huge recipe file documents and more importantly my Picture files. It's making me crazy going back and forth between computers. I would really like to dismantle the old computer and just work from the new one. Any and all tips would be much appreciated.

-- Submitted by: Kathie D.

  Know the answer? Click here to submit it!

Have a tech-related question?
Click here to e-mail us on one of these topics:

· PC troubleshooting
· PC upgrading
· Digital music
· Consumer electronics
· Multimedia
· Internet security
· Digital cameras
· Home audio & video

Need help tech right away? Don't wait for us, post your questions in the CNET forums for all the tech help and how-tos.
Quick pollCommunity quick poll
Weigh in on this week poll topic!
What's your computer's noise level?

(Please click on button to vote)

 Very noisy (How so? Describe it for us)
 Noisy (How so? Describe it for us)
 Acceptable (What's acceptable?)
 Quiet (Describe it for us)
 Very quiet (Is it on?)
 Other (Please explain)

Vote and discuss it here!
Simple question, simple answer
1. I need a quick click digital camera. Grandkids don't stand still...

2. Is it true that chemicals can eat away surface of CDs?

3. Windows 7: How to search for file name or folder name?
Help your fellow members
1. Hotmail hijacks on the rise?

2. Sent e-mail with attached picture file, but when received, it's displayed in email and not as an attachment

3. Smartphone vs. iPod Touch

4. Differences between all the TV tuner and capture cards?

5. Building a computer for the first time, help?
CNET TechTracker - Keep your software up to date.  Click to get more info.

More from the CNET forums
 Windows Vista  Windows XP  Digital cameras
 Desktops  Laptops  MP3 players
 Home audio & video  Spyware, viruses, & security  View all forums

You are receiving this e-mail because you indicated you wanted product updates and information from technology vendors when you provided your e-mail address to CNET. Your e-mail address has not been, and will not be, given to any third parties.

The e-mail address for this newsletter is  tremeex@gmail.com
To update your email address, please visit our Newsletter subscription center.

Unsubscribe from this e-mail | Newsletter help | Privacy policy


Copyright 2010 CBS Interactive Inc. All rights reserved. CNET, CNET.com and the CNET logo are registered trademarks of CBS Interactive Inc. Used by permission.
CBS Interactive Inc. 235 Second Street, San Francisco, CA 94105, U.S.A.

CNET

No comments:

Blog Archive