Friday, March 26, 2010

Help me move my files and contacts from Windows XP to Windows 7

Add newsletters@cnet.online.com to your address book to ensure CNET newsletters reach your inbox.

CNET Reviews
March 26, 2010
Help me move my files and contacts from Windows XP to Windows 7 system

Dear CNET members,

Happy Friday! I hope that this newsletter finds you in good health. First, I'd like to apologize for not sending out a newsletter to you folks last Friday. It's not that I'm slacking, but it is because my father has been in the hospital for variety of issues that stemmed from his heart attack last year. The good news is that he is doing better, and I'm hope that he will be out of the hospital soon. Now let's get moving and see if we can help Kathie with transferring her files and e-mail contacts from her Windows XP to a new Windows 7 system that her children got for her during Christmas.

Kathie, you have some wonderful and thoughtful children for giving you all that tech gear! I'm hoping my four- and seven-year olds will hook me up this holiday (an actual hint to my wife.) I'm glad to see that you have taken on the task of attempting to transfer files and such from your old PC to your new PC on your own. Well, Kathie your fellow CNET members have come through and they have offered a lot great advice for you on how you can do just that. While many members offered a variety of methods ranging from low tech to a bit complex, the most mentioned method was simply using a USB flash drive to move the files and e-mail contacts. While there were numerous recommendations, to get you started on this topic, in the Q&A section I have listed advice from two veteran members, Barry (Watzman) and Dana (waytron). These two members have contributed to this newsletter more times than I can remember and they have always been very helpful and informative. There are plenty of recommendations to read through in this week discussion thread. However, Kathie, if they all are a bit overwhelming, there is always the advice from Phil (phulbelly) who recommends bribing your children to do it for you. Good luck to you! Have a great weekend everyone, and take care!


Cheers!
- Lee


Got suggestions? Send me an e-mail: messageboards@cnet.com

Lee Koo
Lee Koo
CNET Community manager
Last week's question
Help me move my files and contacts from Windows XP to Windows 7 system
QuestionMy son gave me a gorgeous new HP laptop for Christmas. My daughter gave me the coordinating printer-scanner-copier-fax combo. My youngest son gave me the wireless router and set it up for me. Now my problems begin. My old desktop computer (about 5 years old) ran on Windows XP and I was very comfortable with it. I loved Outlook Express, my new computer says "Goodbye to O.E." Hello to Windows Live Messenger. I don't know how to import all my e-mail addresses and the rest of the information in my address book. Do you have any ideas? Also, I can't seem to get Live Messenger going, so I'm going to my provider's Web-based e-mail. It's very hard on me. Of course, I also don't know how to import my huge recipe file documents and more importantly my Picture files. It's making me crazy going back and forth between computers. I would really like to dismantle the old computer and just work from the new one. Any and all tips would be much appreciated.

-- Submitted by: Kathie D.

AnswerFeatured member solutions
for last week's question:

 "Help moving to a new computer "
-- Submitted by: waytron

 "Moving to a new system... "
-- Submitted by: Watzman

 Read all member contributions

 Thanks to all who contributed!

Previous questions and answers
1. My computer fan is kicking on high every few minutes, help!

2. How do I back up my e-mails from free online mail accounts?

3. Help me keep my Windows 7 machine running lean, clean, and mean

4. What's your take on online backup services?

5. Please help me find a cost-effective way to secure my flash drive

 All previous Community newsletters
Community buzz
1. Windows 7: XP mode now accessible to more PCs

2. Here are answers to 7 common 3-D TV questions

3. LCD TV plus DVD player on a budget

4. Still using Firefox 3.0.x? - Read this!

5. Firefox update available, to 3.6.2

6. Good digital camera for beginners?

7. How to connect computer to TV with sound and picture?

 More from the CNET forums

Security alerts and updates
1. News - March 26, 2010

2. Virus and spyware alerts - March 26, 2010

3. Updates - March 26, 2010

4. Vulnerabilities and fixes - March 26, 2010

 More from the security forum
Check out next week's question:
Is the Apple iPad or Netbook right for me?
Next week's questionI'm looking for a device that will let me check my e-mail and surf the Web when I'm travelling, but with a larger screen and storage size than any phone has. I thought a Netbook would be the way to go, but now the Apple iPad is coming out, I'm wondering if that would be a better choice. Any recommendations for Netbooks, or should I wait for the iPad? What are the pros and cons of both devices? Whatever I get needs to be portable and light enough to be hauled around a lot. Since I'm on the road quite often, sometimes for weeks, its battery life and charging options are important. All opinions and suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

-- Submitted by: Corey C.

  Know the answer? Click here to submit it!

Have a tech-related question?
Click here to e-mail us on one of these topics:

· PC troubleshooting
· PC upgrading
· Digital music
· Consumer electronics
· Multimedia
· Internet security
· Digital cameras
· Home audio & video

Need help tech right away? Don't wait for us, post your questions in the CNET forums for all the tech help and how-tos.
Quick pollCommunity quick poll
Weigh in on this week poll topic!
Re-poll: Windows 7 users, well, how is it?

(Please click on button to vote)

 It's just awesome! (Please explain.)
 It's better than I had expected it to be. (Please explain.)
 Not great, not bad. (Please explain.)
 Not going so well. (Please explain.)
 It's not as good as I had expected it to be.
 It's terrible. (Please explain.)
 I'd tell you, but I can't get it installed. (Please explain.)
 Not sure yet; give me more time with it. (Please explain.)
 Other. (Please explain.)

Vote and discuss it here!
Simple question, simple answer
1. Wireless routers...N vs. N+???

2. Font is too big in browser

3. Confused over Windows 7 and physical memory
Help your fellow members
1. Nice Bluetooth headset for mobile and music players

2. Any camcorders out there that doesn't require converting files?

3. eBook reader for scientific papers?

More from the CNET forums
 Windows Vista  Windows XP  Digital cameras
 Desktops  Laptops  MP3 players
 Home audio & video  Spyware, viruses, & security  View all forums

You are receiving this e-mail because you indicated you wanted product updates and information from technology vendors when you provided your e-mail address to CNET. Your e-mail address has not been, and will not be, given to any third parties.

The e-mail address for this newsletter is  tremeex@gmail.com
To update your email address, please visit our Newsletter subscription center.

Unsubscribe from this e-mail | Newsletter help | Privacy policy


Copyright 2010 CBS Interactive Inc. All rights reserved. CNET, CNET.com and the CNET logo are registered trademarks of CBS Interactive Inc. Used by permission.
CBS Interactive Inc. 235 Second Street, San Francisco, CA 94105, U.S.A.

CNET

No comments:

Blog Archive