Friday, March 5, 2010

How do I back up my e-mails from free online mail accounts?

Add newsletters@cnet.online.com to your address book to ensure CNET newsletters reach your inbox.

CNET Reviews
March 5, 2010
How do I back up my e-mails from free online mail accounts?

Dear CNET members,

Happy Friday! Before we dive into the question from Isabelle on how to back up e-mails from Web-based e-mail services, I'd like to introduce a new forum called, CNET to the Rescue. Now let me point out that this is not a technical troubleshooting forum (as we already have plenty of those), but a consumer advocacy forum where you can raise issues about unfair practices by technology companies, call out misleading advertisements, and talk with other members and CNET editors about these issues. This forum is hosted by CNET editor Rafe Needleman and he has his ear out for you. So, if you have some concerns or issues you'd like to discuss with him and other members, bring them on. Here is Rafe's welcome note to give you an idea what this forum is all about. Enjoy!

Now, moving along to backing up those Yahoo Mail and Gmail e-mails. Well, Isabelle, our community members has come through for you in a huge way, giving you a lot of advice on how you can back up your Web-based e-mails. The most popular advice suggests using POP3 (Post Office Protocol 3) that allows you to link your online e-mail account to an e-mail client like Outlook, Outlook Express, or Thunderbird. It will allow you to transfer all your e-mails to your computer's hard drive, and then you can decide what you want to do with them. Most online e-mail clients offer this service; some are free and some come at a small cost. It's a great, simple process, and many folks use this method. For those of you who aren't familiar with POP3 and what it does, here is fairly simple explanation from Answers.com.

There are a few other methods mentioned by members, ranging from the traditional copying and pasting important e-mails to setting up an auto forwarding rule to another e-mail address. So give the answers all a read and find what works best for you. I have a few selected answers in the Q&A section to start. I hope they help! Thanks everyone for your time and contributions. Have a great weekend!

Cheers!
- Lee


Got suggestions? Send me an e-mail: messageboards@cnet.com

Lee Koo
Lee Koo
CNET Community manager
Last week's question
How do I back up my e-mails from free online Yahoo Mail and Gmail accounts?
QuestionOver the past several years I have been depending on free online Yahoo mail and Gmail accounts for my everyday e-mails. I've been lucky thus far of not losing anything yet, but I'm weary about it as friend told me that free email services aren't trustworthy as anything can go wrong and there are no recourse if my accounts were suddenly to disappear or somehow get compromised because they are free.

Now that this has got me really concerned, I would like to back up all my e-mails from these free online e-mail accounts, but I really have no clue as to how to go about it. Can your members help me out and give me some step-by-step instructions on how I can get this accomplished for both Yahoo mail and Gmail? I would like to be able to store them on my computer and retrieve them once I have established a nonfree online service. I would be most grateful for this help.

-- Submitted by: Isabelle W.

AnswerFeatured member solutions
for last week's question:

 "Backing up online e-mail "
-- Submitted by: TMSAssoc

 "Gmail offers these options for backing up data "
-- Submitted by: davidwinget

 "Archiving Yahoo e-mail "
-- Submitted by: JamesJ

 "Methods for backing up free online e-mail "
-- Submitted by: caue.rego

 "POP3"
-- Submitted by: darrenforster99

 "A lot to say, true/false "
-- Submitted by: DADSGETNDOWN

 "Free e-mail backup "
-- Submitted by: RayGauthier

 Read all member contributions

 Thanks to all who contributed!

Previous questions and answers
1. Help me keep my Windows 7 machine running lean, clean, and mean

2. What's your take on online backup services?

3. Please help me find a cost-effective way to secure my flash drive

4. Windows XP: How do I completely remove items in my start-up folder?

5. I accidentally deleted the files on my SD card. How can I recover them?

 All previous Community newsletters
Community buzz
1. Windows 7 and XP systems--very little performance differences, why?

2. Windows 7 system progressively running slower

3. Stolen lap--how can I determine value of old laptop?

4. Lens quality in dSLR cameras kits any good?

5. Mobile phone sales taxes in California--is it fair?

6. How can I send a file of 673MB via email?

7. What is the typical lifespan of a desktop and its parts?

8. New TiVo DVR, few changes, no surprises, little disappointed

9. Wanting to upgrade from analog to digital TV

10. Recent Windows updates causing BSOD

 More from the CNET forums

Mac nugget
1. Can't shut down iMac G5

2. New MacBook Pro 2010. Buy or wait?

3. Mac vs. PC in the graphic design context

 More from the Mac OS forum
Security alerts and updates
1. MS10-015 security update re-released w/new detection logic

2. News - March 5, 2010

3. Virus and spyware alerts - March 5, 2010

4. Updates - March 5, 2010

5. Vulnerabilities and fixes - March 5, 2010

 More from the security forum
Check out next week's question:
My computer fan is kicking on high every few minutes, help!
Next week's questionI am at my wit's end. I'm going to try and be concise and to the point. My HP Pavilion desktop (Windows XP SP3 Media Center edition) got a nasty virus, and the local shop wiped the hard drive and reinstalled it for $90 flat fee. It will never be as it was before the virus, but I expected that. The real problem is the computer's fan; it kicks on high every few minutes and then goes back to normal speed. There is no dust or dirt inside the case and the fans are clean. I took it to another tech who reset the CMOS and didn't charge me anything. The fan never kicked up on high when it was in his shop, but when I got home it started up again. It's like when you call the TV repairman and it works perfectly while he's at your house. I have run all my scans, virus, spyware, malware, etc. Everything is clean. I don't use my computer for any work, just e-mail, news, a few online games and general stuff (no Facebook, Twitter, adult sites). I just hope it's not the processor and I've never had this symptom before. Thanks for any help at all.

-- Submitted by: Betsy in North Carolina

  Know the answer? Click here to submit it!

Have a tech-related question?
Click here to e-mail us on one of these topics:

· PC troubleshooting
· PC upgrading
· Digital music
· Consumer electronics
· Multimedia
· Internet security
· Digital cameras
· Home audio & video

Need help tech right away? Don't wait for us, post your questions in the CNET forums for all the tech help and how-tos.
Quick pollCommunity quick poll
Weigh in on this week poll topic!
What e-mail service do you use? And how do you like it?

(Please click on button to vote)

 AOL Mail
 Gmail
 Windows Live Hotmail
 Yahoo Mail
 I use the e-mail provided by my cable company
 I use the e-mail provided by my DSL company
 I use my work e-mail
 I use my own e-mail
 Other

Vote and discuss it here!
Simple question, simple answer
1. Vista re-activation, product code numbers worn-off

2. Disc tray stuck, how can I open it?

3. Re: F8 Key not responding when tapped during bootup.

4. Real impact of differences in Internet connection speeds
Help your fellow members
1. Fake virus scan

2. What's the advantage of Flip type camcorders vs. digital camera w/video?

3. Will a .wmv movie to play on a standard DVD player?

4. Forgotten password on Sandisk Cruzer USB flash drive with the U3 software
CNET TechTracker - Keep your software up to date.  Click to get more info.

More from the CNET forums
 Windows Vista  Windows XP  Digital cameras
 Desktops  Laptops  MP3 players
 Home audio & video  Spyware, viruses, & security  View all forums

You are receiving this e-mail because you indicated you wanted product updates and information from technology vendors when you provided your e-mail address to CNET. Your e-mail address has not been, and will not be, given to any third parties.

The e-mail address for this newsletter is  tremeex@gmail.com
To update your email address, please visit our Newsletter subscription center.

Unsubscribe from this e-mail | Newsletter help | Privacy policy


Copyright 2010 CBS Interactive Inc. All rights reserved. CNET, CNET.com and the CNET logo are registered trademarks of CBS Interactive Inc. Used by permission.
CBS Interactive Inc. 235 Second Street, San Francisco, CA 94105, U.S.A.

CNET

No comments:

Blog Archive