Friday, July 2, 2010

Why are my Windows system restore points disappearing?

Add newsletters@cnet.online.com to your address book to ensure CNET newsletters reach your inbox.

CNET Reviews
July 2, 2010
Why are my Windows system restore points disappearing?

Dear CNET members,

Happy Friday! I hope this newsletter finds everyone well and enjoying the summer days. This week's topic covers Paul's Windows 7 machine, where the system restore points that he sets are mysteriously disappearing after each reboot. There's probably nothing more frustrating than trying everything suggested online, yet still not being able to figure out what's going wrong. Though I can't guarantee that one of our member-provided answers will help, I hope the suggestions can at least lead you in the right direction.

Here is a quick breakdown of what our members suggested as possible culprits:

   -- System restore folder or Windows Registry is corrupt
   -- Not enough hard-disk space to retain system restore points
   -- A system utility program or antivirus that is set to automatically clean
      up restore points
   -- Virus or malware in system disabling system restore

I have selected a few featured member answers in the Q&A section to get you started. And, Paul, if you get a chance, please join us in this week's discussion to tell us whether any of these solutions did the trick. And if they didn't, I hope that a few of you who have found yourself in Paul's shoes in the past, who actually solved this issue, would kindly step up to the plate and help us through it. The more possible solutions we offer, the more likely the problem will be solved. Thanks, everyone and have a great weekend! (And for those you who are with us in the U.S., happy Independence Day!)

Cheers!
- Lee


Got suggestions? Send me an e-mail: messageboards@cnet.com

Lee Koo
Lee Koo
CNET Community manager
Last week's question
Why are my Windows system restore points disappearing?
QuestionI hope you all can help. I am having problems with my system restore points in Windows 7. I create the restore points, but when after I shut down my PC, they are gone. This is happening with all restore points that the system creates also, such as when it installs updates. I have tried everything suggested online. I made sure that system restore is on, I checked the service, and I set volume shadowing to automatic. Does anyone else having this issue? Any help or ideas would be really appreciated.

-- Submitted by: Paul C.

AnswerFeatured member solutions
for last week's question:

 "System Restore Points "
-- Submitted by: hideout587

 "Restore points disappearing - Houdini is back - LOL "
-- Submitted by: GEO2003

 "Maybe some external application is doing this "
-- Submitted by: algotechie

 "It happened to me too "
-- Submitted by: rje49

 "Advanced System parameters: size limitation on disk "
-- Submitted by: verdyp

 "Do you use McAfee?"
-- Submitted by: mintzs1

 Read all member contributions

 Thanks to all who contributed!

Previous questions and answers
1. Buying a new PC, will I regret the integrated graphics card later?

2. Can I create my own Windows 7 recovery disc without all the bloatware?

3. Need help; Windows 7 system freezes after it sits inactive for a while?

4. Is it just me or is Firefox a resource hog?

5. Help me start over with a Windows 7 upgrade

 All previous Community newsletters
Community buzz
1. Is it really worth it to upgrade from an LCD TV to an LED TV?

2. Windows XP: Slow booting

3. Did I help phish myself?

4. DDR2 vs. DDR3 RAM

5. How do sites know who you are?

6. Partitioning hard disk AFTER it is loaded with OS

7. Can I move my Dell desktop innards into a custom case?

 More from the CNET forums

Mac nugget
1. Downloaded an upgrade to 10.5.8 but it won't open

2. Erasing iBook G4 laptop to update it with info on newer iMac

3. Full Hard Drive on Mac Mini

 More from the Mac OS forum
Security alerts and updates
1. Security updates released for Adobe Reader and Acrobat

2. Security news - July 2, 2010

3. Updates - July 2, 2010

4. Vulnerabilities and fixes - July 2, 2010

 More from the security forum
Check out next week's question:
Oops, I accidentally unplugged my USB hard drive, now I can't access it.
Next week's questionI've run into a super-crisis! While creating a bootable Ubuntu USB (for my uni course), the creator needed the USB to be formatted. I had my flash disk as well as my family's external hard drive (used for storing all our digital photos, etc.) both plugged in. After accidentally clicking on the wrong drive, I panicked and stupidly pulled the USB cord connecting the external hard drive. Now whenever I plug in the hard drive into any computer, the various OSes want to format the hard drive. Is there any way I can recover the many precious files on the hard drive?

-- Submitted by: Brendan L. from Sydney, Australia

  Know the answer? Click here to submit it!

Have a tech-related question?
Click here to e-mail us on one of these topics:

· PC troubleshooting
· PC upgrading
· Digital music
· Consumer electronics
· Multimedia
· Internet security
· Digital cameras
· Home audio & video

Need help tech right away? Don't wait for us, post your questions in the CNET forums for all the tech help and how-tos.
Quick pollCommunity quick poll
Weigh in on this week poll topic!
How useful do you find Windows System Restore utility?

(Please click on button to vote)

 Very useful, it's saved me many times. (Why so many times?)
 Somewhat useful. (How so?)
 Not useful. (Tell us why.)
 I use other system restore utilities (Tell us what you use.)
 I'd use it more if it worked properly.  (What?s wrong with it?)
 I have no idea, I've never used it. (You?ve been lucky then.)
 What is this System restore utility you speak of? (Are you just kidding?)
 I don?t do Windows.

Vote and discuss it here!
Simple question, simple answer
1. Internet Explorer 8 corrupt, how can I reset/reload it?

2. How do I detect viruses in CD/DVD before loading it on my PC?

3. Why should plasma TV's not be turned from upright
Help your fellow members
1. iTunes is driving me crazy & it's a short trip!

2. What are some good basic Web cams?

3. Confused about iPhone OS 4.0 multitasking

4. Windows "Safely Remove Hardware" icon always in system tray

5. Laptop for college: Engineering major

6. Laptop for college: Information systems major

7. Best college laptop?

More from the CNET forums
 Windows Vista  Windows XP  Digital cameras
 Desktops  Laptops  MP3 players
 Home audio & video  Spyware, viruses, & security  View all forums

You are receiving this e-mail because you indicated you wanted product updates and information from technology vendors when you provided your e-mail address to CNET. Your e-mail address has not been, and will not be, given to any third parties.

The e-mail address for this newsletter is  tremeex@gmail.com
To update your email address, please visit our Newsletter subscription center.

Unsubscribe from this e-mail | Newsletter help | Privacy policy


Copyright 2010 CBS Interactive Inc. All rights reserved. CNET, CNET.com and the CNET logo are registered trademarks of CBS Interactive Inc. Used by permission.
CBS Interactive Inc. 235 Second Street, San Francisco, CA 94105, U.S.A.

CNET

No comments:

Blog Archive