Friday, July 9, 2010

Oops, I accidentally unplugged my USB hard drive, now I can't access it.

Add newsletters@cnet.online.com to your address book to ensure CNET newsletters reach your inbox.

CNET Reviews
July 9, 2010
Oops, I accidentally unplugged my USB hard drive, now I can't access it.

Dear CNET members,

Happy Friday! While you're reading this, I will more than likely be on a sunny beach in Maui for some much needed R and R. So there will be no newsletter delivery next Friday, as I will be deeply immersed in my hula lessons. However, I will be thinking of you all and sending some aloha from afar.

Now let's get started with Brendan's supercrisis. To refresh your memory: he accidentally selected the wrong drive for formatting, and in a panic, pulled the USB cord connecting the external hard drive to his computer while it was in the process of being formatted. Now he is unable to access it to retrieve his precious data.

Oh boy, Brendan, now that must have been a heart-stopping moment. Well, the good news is that a lot of folks came through for you and offered a lot of advice and tips for recovering your data; many suggested recovery software that might do the job. However, because your situation is a bit different, as pointed out by longtime contributor darrenforster99, some of the methods that many folks mentioned for recovering data are used specifically with Windows. In your case, it was formatting in preparation for Linux, so recovery methods may be different. Please read his post here and his additional follow-up post here.

If all the info members have provided is overwhelming and your important data is simply too priceless, professional recovery services, though expensive, might be the way to go. Good luck, Brendan; I hope you get to recover those files, and we look forward to hearing how this story ended for you. I wanted to remind everyone how important it is to back up your data just for these unforeseen situations, so on that note I give you member Seffner's post.

Mahalo (thank you) everyone, and I'll talk to you all when I get back!

Cheers!
- Lee


Got suggestions? Send me an e-mail: messageboards@cnet.com

Lee Koo
Lee Koo
CNET Community manager
Last week's question
Oops, I accidentally unplugged my USB hard drive, now I can't access it.
QuestionI've run into a super-crisis! While creating a bootable Ubuntu USB (for my uni course), the creator needed the USB to be formatted. I had my flash disk as well as my family's external hard drive (used for storing all our digital photos, etc.) both plugged in. After accidentally clicking on the wrong drive, I panicked and stupidly pulled the USB cord connecting the external hard drive. Now whenever I plug in the hard drive into any computer, the various OSes want to format the hard drive. Is there any way I can recover the many precious files on the hard drive?

-- Submitted by: Brendan L. from Sydney, Australia

AnswerFeatured member solutions
for last week's question:

 "Sounds like the drive has started to be formatted as EXT3 "
-- Submitted by: darrenforster99

 "Partition recovery "
-- Submitted by: darrenforster99

 "STOP!! "
-- Submitted by: Zouch

 "Disk recovery tools, take it to a pro or experienced amateur "
-- Submitted by: chlpatent

 "Unable to access USB hard drive "
-- Submitted by: GEO2003

 Read all member contributions

 Thanks to all who contributed!

Previous questions and answers
1. Why are my Windows system restore points disappearing?

2. Buying a new PC, will I regret the integrated graphics card later?

3. Can I create my own Windows 7 recovery disc without all the bloatware?

4. Need help; Windows 7 system freezes after it sits inactive for a while?

5. Is it just me or is Firefox a resource hog?

 All previous Community newsletters
Community buzz
1. FYI: Support for XP with SP2 will end on July 13, 2010

2. Help select wireless router for newbie

3. Removing write protection from USB flash drive

4. New PC has Windows 7. How can I switch it back to XP?

5. Printing a Web page correctly

6. HP Pavilion making high pitched noise

7. Google Chrome or Windows Internet Explorer 8?

8. Windows 7: Is it too late for me to make recovery disks?

9. Apple Admits iPhone 4 reception woes are hardware-related

10. Yet another dSLR camera thread, time to take the plunge

 More from the CNET forums

Mac nugget
1. DVDs made with 10.4.11 cannot be read with 10.6.4?

2. MacBook: Login account not available at this time - Login failure

3. At 73 am I too old to change to a Mac?

4. MacBook Pro does not boot, has strip on screen and shuts down

 More from the Mac OS forum
Security alerts and updates
1. Microsoft security bulletin advance
notification for July


2. Security news - July 8, 2010

3. Updates - July 8, 2010

4. Vulnerabilities and fixes - July 8, 2010

 More from the security forum
Check out next week's question:
3D TVs: True innovation or hype?
Next week's questionI'm starting to shop for a new TV and keep seeing a lot about 3D TVs. Should I consider them in my research or is it a waste of time and money? Has anyone seen demos? How's the picture quality? Can the feature be turned on and off? Would I have to wear special glasses just to watch my TV? What about movies? Netflix and Blockbuster don't offer 3D movies, do any movie channels? Trying to separate true innovation from hype. Thanks!

-- Submitted by: James G.

  Know the answer? Click here to submit it!

Have a tech-related question?
Click here to e-mail us on one of these topics:

· PC troubleshooting
· PC upgrading
· Digital music
· Consumer electronics
· Multimedia
· Internet security
· Digital cameras
· Home audio & video

Need help tech right away? Don't wait for us, post your questions in the CNET forums for all the tech help and how-tos.
Quick pollCommunity quick poll
Weigh in on this week poll topic!
Be honest, do you back up your important data?

(Please click on button to vote)

 Absolutely.
 Yes, but not often enough.
 Sometimes.
 When I feel like it.
 No, I live on the edge.
 No, because I have nothing important.
 No, because I don't know how.

Vote and discuss it here!
Simple question, simple answer
1. Why do I need to make a backup Windows recovery disc?

2. Need hard drive space, what can I do to clean it up?

3. What traces exactly does Firefox Private Browsing leave?
Help your fellow members
1. Connecting PC and HDTV simultaneously

2. Problems viewing video over the Internet

3. Help with connection to Netflix using an LG BD550 Blu-ray player

4. Netflix on iPhone?



More from the CNET forums
 Windows Vista  Windows XP  Digital cameras
 Desktops  Laptops  MP3 players
 Home audio & video  Spyware, viruses, & security  View all forums

You are receiving this e-mail because you indicated you wanted product updates and information from technology vendors when you provided your e-mail address to CNET. Your e-mail address has not been, and will not be, given to any third parties.

The e-mail address for this newsletter is  tremeex@gmail.com
To update your email address, please visit our Newsletter subscription center.

Unsubscribe from this e-mail | Newsletter help | Privacy policy


Copyright 2010 CBS Interactive Inc. All rights reserved. CNET, CNET.com and the CNET logo are registered trademarks of CBS Interactive Inc. Used by permission.
CBS Interactive Inc. 235 Second Street, San Francisco, CA 94105, U.S.A.

CNET

No comments:

Blog Archive