Friday, April 2, 2010

Is the Apple iPad or Netbook right for me?

Add newsletters@cnet.online.com to your address book to ensure CNET newsletters reach your inbox.

CNET Reviews
April 2, 2010
Is the Apple iPad or Netbook right for me?

Dear CNET members,

Happy Friday! Folks, before we jump into offering up some buying advice, we have a couple of announcements. First up, with the anticipation of the Apple iPad release and all other new tablet-type devices to come, I have created a new Tablets forum for your perusal--it's a great destination to discuss, troubleshoot, and help one another with these new devices.

Second on the list is CNET Expert Support, a brand-new CNET paid service that provides you a place to get 24-7 help with PCs, software, and peripherals. From PC maintenance to complex virus removal, CNET Tech Experts can support your technical needs right from the comfort of your home or office. So, if you need that special one-on-one attention and want to resolve a problem quickly without having to get your hands dirty, this is the service for you. Of course, if this isn't your cup of tea, the CNET forums are always open 24-7 with the support of your fellow members! Now let's help Corey decide whether he should go with an Apple iPad or Netbook.

Well, Corey this is by no mean a simple decision. However, since you asked, your fellow members have delivered--bringing up many great points, opinions, and their takes on what each device can offer. I think their views will greatly help you and others decide which device is best for you. The decision boils down to what you will be using it for--beyond, e-mailing, surfing the Web, and portability. Both devices do offer those features. What you want to do beyond those is what decides which device is best suited for you. Our members had a few questions you should ask yourself to help you decide:

     -- Do you need a real keyboard?
     -- Will you need corporate or special apps that only run on PCs?
     -- Is cost a factor?
     -- Do you need a lot of storage space?
     -- Will you need USB ports?
     -- How important is battery life?

These, and many other points can be found in this week's discussion. And folks, by all means please keep your opinions and advice coming in. Thanks to all who have contributed and who have helped keep this discussion on topic, informative, and civil! It's great to hear your voices. Have a great weekend all!

(Note: I will be taking a week off for some family vacation time, so there will be no community newsletter next week. However, if you want to catch up on some of the previous community newsletters, we have all of them archived right here. Enjoy and see you all when I get back!)

Cheers!
- Lee


Got suggestions? Send me an e-mail: messageboards@cnet.com

Lee Koo
Lee Koo
CNET Community manager
Last week's question
Is the Apple iPad or Netbook right
for me?

QuestionI'm looking for a device that will let me check my e-mail and surf the Web when I'm travelling, but with a larger screen and storage size than any phone has. I thought a Netbook would be the way to go, but now the Apple iPad is coming out, I'm wondering if that would be a better choice. Any recommendations for Netbooks, or should I wait for the iPad? What are the pros and cons of both devices? Whatever I get needs to be portable and light enough to be hauled around a lot. Since I'm on the road quite often, sometimes for weeks, its battery life and charging options are important. All opinions and suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance!

-- Submitted by: Corey C.

AnswerFeatured member solutions
for last week's question:

 "iPad vs. Netbook "
-- Submitted by: waytron

 "It all depends... "
-- Submitted by: Wolfie2k5

 "It really depends on what you want to do... "
-- Submitted by: Watzman

 Read all member contributions

 Thanks to all who contributed!

Previous questions and answers
1. Moving my files and contacts from XP to Windows 7

2. My computer fan is kicking on high every few minutes, help!

3. How do I back up my e-mails from free online mail accounts?

4. Help me keep my Windows 7 machine running lean, clean, and mean

5. What's your take on online backup services?

 All previous Community newsletters
Community buzz
1. A better idea than the iPad...

2. WHY can't I get a point-and-shoot digital camera with a VIEWFINDER?

3. Are my online passwords really safe?

4. POLL: Paid Internet security suite vs. free suite

5. HP laptop fails to last a year

6. Can't get rid of phony "User Protection" antivirus

7. Microsoft asking me to re-activate Vista

8. Advice on new desktop...how to decide amount of RAM

 More from the CNET forums

Mac nugget
1. Snow Leopard: MS Office and Excel hang when pasting from Apple apps

2. Community Toolbar message keeps appearing?

3. All text on my Mac desktop are just a series of "A"s

4. Snow Leopard on my external FireWire drive issue...

 More from the Mac OS forum
Security alerts and updates
1. News - April 2, 2010

2. Virus and spyware alerts - April 2, 2010

3. Updates - April 2, 2010

4. Vulnerabilities and fixes - April 2, 2010

5. Microsoft Security advanced notification


 More from the security forum
Check out next week's question:
Why won?t my printers work with my new 64-bit Vista machine?
Next week's questionI've got a new HP Pavilion loaded with Windows Vista. It is a 64-bit system, and I can't use either my Epson CX4600 or my Dell AIO 940 printers. I am computer illiterate, but one of my buddies told me that I really screwed up buying this one. He says that none of my equipment can be used with the 64-bit HP and that I will have to get all new stuff when and if it ever becomes available. Do you have any suggestions as to how I can get my current scanner/printers to work with this computer? Again I must reiterate that I am not computer smart and am just a 68-year-old retiree on a fixed income. Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.

-- Submitted by: Paul H. of Cornelius, OR

  Know the answer? Click here to submit it!

Have a tech-related question?
Click here to e-mail us on one of these topics:

· PC troubleshooting
· PC upgrading
· Digital music
· Consumer electronics
· Multimedia
· Internet security
· Digital cameras
· Home audio & video

Need help tech right away? Don't wait for us, post your questions in the CNET forums for all the tech help and how-tos.
Quick pollCommunity quick poll
Weigh in on this week poll topic!
Are you going to buy the new Apple iPad?

(Please click on button to vote)

 Absolutely! (What about it appeals to you most?)
 Yes, I preordered it already. (What about it appeals to you most?)
 Undecided. (What's holding you back?)
 Not yet, waiting on next version. (What's wrong with this version?)
 Never! (Why so certain?)

Vote and discuss it here!
Simple question, simple answer
1. Looking for a free photo editing program to download

2. Replacing printer cartridges

3. What specs make a hard drive work faster?
Help your fellow members
1. HELP! Asus EeePC screen upside down, tried everything!

2. How safe is PayPal?

3. Cannot type in password on Win XP

4. DVD/CD Drive is no longer recognizing audio discs

More from the CNET forums
 Windows Vista  Windows XP  Digital cameras
 Desktops  Laptops  MP3 players
 Home audio & video  Spyware, viruses, & security  View all forums

You are receiving this e-mail because you indicated you wanted product updates and information from technology vendors when you provided your e-mail address to CNET. Your e-mail address has not been, and will not be, given to any third parties.

The e-mail address for this newsletter is  tremeex@gmail.com
To update your email address, please visit our Newsletter subscription center.

Unsubscribe from this e-mail | Newsletter help | Privacy policy


Copyright 2010 CBS Interactive Inc. All rights reserved. CNET, CNET.com and the CNET logo are registered trademarks of CBS Interactive Inc. Used by permission.
CBS Interactive Inc. 235 Second Street, San Francisco, CA 94105, U.S.A.

CNET

No comments:

Blog Archive