Friday, October 23, 2009

Windows update went bad, now my PC is stuck in endless updating cycle

CNET TechSpecials partner newsletter
October 23, 2009
Windows update went bad, now my PC is stuck in endless updating cycle

Dear CNET members,

Happy Friday! Well, Windows 7 is finally out, and there are more and more posts popping up in the CNET Windows 7 forum. If you need help, advice, or just want to discuss your experience with other members about the new operating system, the Windows 7 forum is always there for you! Now let's see if we can help get Susannah's Vista system out of endless updating cycle.

Susannah, it seems like a lot folks here have been in your shoes before, so lucky for you, you're not alone; many members have shared their experiences of what they did to solve the endless update problems. With that being said, one particular solution that stood out above the rest and was mentioned by the majority of our members was to boot up your system in safe mode and from there to do a system restore before your update. I'm not going to go into details as I'll let you folks read up on it, but with that many people suggesting the samne thing, I think it's a pretty good idea to give that a try. If that doesn't work I picked out a few additional options for you. A few people even referenced Microsoft's support line, which can help you with updates that have gone wrong. Please read through all of the many helpful posts, and when the problem is solved, please swing by this discussion thread and let us know what worked. That is always appreciated! Have a great weekend everyone and thank you for taking the time out to contribute to helping your fellow community members' tech headaches!


Cheers!
- Lee


Got suggestions? Send me an e-mail: messageboards@cnet.com

Lee Koo
Lee Koo
CNET Community manager
Last week's question
Windows update went bad, now my PC is stuck in endless updating cycle
QuestionMy Windows Vista laptop downloaded some Windows automatic updates and the third update never updated properly. Now my computer is stuck in a cycle of trying to update then shutting down and restarting. I've tried to restart my computer, but as soon as I log in the computer, it cycles back to the update that never installs. Is there a way I can bypass this and restore my computer? Right now I can't use my computer at all. Help!

-- Submitted by: Susannah M.

AnswerFeatured member solutions
for last week's question:

 "Windows update problems "
-- Submitted by: jacksaul1

 "This should work "
-- Submitted by: TheSalemCat

 "Endless update cycle "
-- Submitted by: john.ford1

 "A few settings need to change... "
-- Submitted by: NoellyB

 Read all member contributions

 Thanks to all who contributed!

Previous questions and answers
1. Power supplies for PCs: How much power is enough and which brands are reliable?

2. Help! Hard-drive space doing the disappearing, reappearing act!

3. Broadband: Is my cable connection becoming saturated?

4. Help, USB connections is not always being detect by PC

5. Home wireless network connection getting intermittent connections, help!

 All previous Community newsletters
Community buzz
1. Did not get upgrade for Windows 7 e-mail from Microsoft

2. File transfer from Windows XP SP1 to Windows 7

3. Dell, Sony, or ThinkPad laptop?

4. Archive my HD video from flash memory to...?

5. Computer fan extremely loud

6. HDTV refresh rate facts?

7. How safe are all these USB gadget devices to use?

 More from the CNET forums

Mac nugget
1. Unwanted frames and duplicate entries

2. Why doesn't Apple trademark its innovations?

3. Firmware update incomplete--now no video!

 More from the Mac OS forum
Security alerts and updates
1. News - October 23, 2009

2. Virus and spyware alerts - October 23, 2009

3. Updates - October 23, 2009

4. Vulnerabilities and fixes - October 23, 2009

 More from the security forum
Check out next week's question:
Why all the hype for installing lots of RAM when the system doesn't utilize it?
Next week's questionI have always followed the advice of this community, and they have always been great suggestions. I have one question. I have 3GBs of RAM on my current Dell 531S and my new Dell 546, which I will be receiving, will have 4GB of RAM. I have two RAM monitors on my systems that keep an eye on RAM usage. They never go above 1GB and most of the time it is at 225MB to 500MB of usage. So why all the hype for lots of RAM? I periodically do film editing and it still uses only a little RAM. Is there something I am not doing to use more RAM? Is there a way to get the computer to utilize more, a setting I should redo or set? Suggestions and comments appreciated

-- Submitted by: Jhampa S.

  Know the answer? Click here to submit it!

Have a tech-related question?
Click here to e-mail us on one of these topics:

· PC troubleshooting
· PC upgrading
· Digital music
· Consumer electronics
· Multimedia
· Internet security
· Digital cameras
· Home audio & video

Need help tech right away? Don't wait for us, post your questions in the CNET forums for all the tech help and how-tos.
Quick pollCommunity quick poll
Weigh in on this week poll topic!
Microsoft Windows 7 is available now. Do you plan to install Windows 7?

(Please click on button to vote)

 Yes, I'm going to upgrade from Vista.
 Yes, I'm going to upgrade from XP.
 Yes, I'm going to install it on my Mac.
 Yes, I'm going to purchase a new computer with Windows 7 installed
 No, I'm going to stick with Vista.  (Please explain why.)
 No, I'm going to stick with XP. (Please explain why.)
 I don't do Windows.

Vote and discuss it here!
Simple question, simple answer
1. How to set up date and time in Hotmail?

2. Screen cleaners for iPhone?
Help your fellow members
1. New computer with Windows 7: Will these security apps and utilities work?

2. Best free antivirus for Windows 7

3. Replacing water-damaged iPhone?

4. Hard drive won't spin, data recovery how?

5. How will Apple's new hardware affect Windows 7?
Deals and bargains
1. Samsung color laser printer for $199.99 + free S/H

2. McAfee Protection 2010 for three users $36.99 + free S/H (List: $79.99)x

3. Invicta oversized watch for $79.99 + free S/H (List: $495)

 More from the Deals and Bargains forum

More from the CNET forums
 Windows Vista  Windows XP  Digital cameras
 Desktops  Laptops  MP3 players
 Home audio & video  Spyware, viruses, & security  View all forums



You are receiving this e-mail because you indicated you wanted product updates and information from technology vendors when you provided your e-mail address to CNET. Your e-mail address has not been, and will not be, given to any third parties.

The e-mail address for this newsletter is  tremeex@gmail.com
To update your email address, please visit our Newsletter subscription center.

Unsubscribe from this e-mail | Newsletter help | Privacy policy


Copyright 2009 CBS Interactive Inc. All rights reserved. CNET, CNET.com and the CNET logo are registered trademarks of CBS Interactive Inc. Used by permission.
CBS Interactive Inc. 235 Second Street, San Francisco, CA 94105, U.S.A.

CNET

No comments:

Blog Archive