Friday, May 21, 2010

Help me start over with a Windows 7 upgrade

Add newsletters@cnet.online.com to your address book to ensure CNET newsletters reach your inbox.

CNET Reviews
May 21, 2010
Help me start over with a Windows 7 upgrade

Dear CNET members,

Happy Friday! For those folks who shared their knowledge with Patrick in last week's newsletter regarding his computer's CPU running at 100 percent, I have a treat for you. Patrick e-mailed me directly to thank you all who contributed to his question and I've pasted it here for you to read. You all deserve a big pat on the back--good karma is on your side! Now let's see if we can help Richard out with a do over of a Windows 7 upgrade.

Good news, Richard. According to our members' responses, reinstalling your Windows 7 upgrade edition is not going to be a problem. As a matter of fact, you can reinstall the Windows 7 upgrade edition as many times as you want; as long as you have a legitimate qualifying previous version of a Windows OS, you can do a clean install of Windows 7. However, a few have advised that before doing so, you should run Windows 7 upgrade adviser to make sure that your hardware can handle Windows 7, just in case.

Many members have posted step-by-step instructions on how to proceed with this task, but before you do, back up all your important data; once you wipe that hard drive clean, there is no turning back to retrieve the data. As a good rule of thumb, it's always better to do a clean install of the Windows OS rather than taking the upgrade route where you install the OS over the existing version. I've selected a few members' answers for you in the Q&A section to start you off, but please read through all the member contribution for many other great tips and advice. Good luck to you and happy upgrading. Have a safe weekend everyone, and thank you for your invaluable contribution to this community.

Cheers!
- Lee


Got suggestions? Send me an e-mail: messageboards@cnet.com

Lee Koo
Lee Koo
CNET Community manager
Last week's question
Help me start over with a Windows 7 upgrade
QuestionI installed the Windows 7 upgrade over the Vista software that came with my computer using that option, rather than the option of wiping the HD clean and the reinstalling all other software after Win 7 was installed. Big mistake!

My experience with Windows 7 has been awful. I'll bet I've had as many as 20 blue screens while using Win 7, and probably as many freeze-ups. Even Norton's Utilities advises me that my "System health is low" and scan the registry (which I've done many times!)

How can I wipe this hard drive clean and then install my Windows 7 upgrade now? Will Microsoft allow me a second try using the Win 7 upgrade that I've bought and used once already? Thanks for any advice.

-- Submitted by: Richard K. of Medford, Oregon

AnswerFeatured member solutions
for last week's question:

 "Starting over... "
-- Submitted by: Watzman

 "Starting over... "
-- Submitted by: Wolfie2k5

 "Yes you can. Here's how to clean-install Windows 7 upgrade. "
-- Submitted by: NoriNY

 "Your answer is----YES! "
-- Submitted by: warpete

 Read all member contributions

 Thanks to all who contributed!

Previous questions and answers
1. Why is my CPU running at 100 percent, when only three windows are open?!

2. Digital photos stored on external drive have gray bars on them, help!

3. Is the security software built into Windows 7 good enough or not?

4. Windows 7: All desktop shortcuts appear twice

5. Why won't my printers work with my new 64-bit Vista machine?

 All previous Community newsletters
Community buzz
1. FYI: Support for XP with SP2 will end on July 13, 2010

2. XP startups slow after Google Chrome install

3. How to manage two antivirus apps?

4. Camera corrupting memory cards?!

5. Best monochrome printer for personal use

6. Third party TV warranty experiences

7. Here's an advisory about search engine result infections

8. Home built PC: CPU overheating problems

 More from the CNET forums

Mac nugget
1. MacBook Pro ideal for gaming or should I go for a gaming PC?

2. iMac G5 iSight won't start, HELP!

3. MacBook regular or Air?

4. Saving software, when changing hard drive?

 More from the Mac OS forum
Security alerts and updates
1. Windows 7 hit by display driver security hole. Affects Aero.

2. Security news - May 21, 2010

3. Updates - May 21, 2010

4. Vulnerabilities and fixes - May 21, 2010

 More from the security forum
Check out next week's question:
Is it just me or is Firefox a CPU hog?
Next week's questionOn the widely discussed 100 percent CPU usage problem on Windows OS, I have the same problem and it seems to be caused by the use of Firefox. When everything slows down to crawl, I check the Windows task manager and it shows Firefox's use of the CPU is at a very high rate-180K-220K, so I do an "end process" on Firefox and it knocks me off the Internet, and everything returns to back to normal. I tried uninstalling Firefox and reinstalling it, but no changes at all. I've contacted Firefox for help, but no response from them. Is this the way Firefox is? Any ideas on how I can correct this? Or is Firefox simply a resource hog and there's nothing I can do about it on my end? Thanks.

-- Submitted by: Jim L.

  Know the answer? Click here to submit it!

Have a tech-related question?
Click here to e-mail us on one of these topics:

· PC troubleshooting
· PC upgrading
· Digital music
· Consumer electronics
· Multimedia
· Internet security
· Digital cameras
· Home audio & video

Need help tech right away? Don't wait for us, post your questions in the CNET forums for all the tech help and how-tos.
Quick pollCommunity quick poll
Weigh in on this week poll topic!
When I do an operating system upgrade, I:

(Please click on button to vote)

 Do a clean install (wipe the hard drive clean and load the OS).
 Upgrade (install the new OS over the existing one).

Vote and discuss it here!
Simple question, simple answer
1. Reformat hard drive before sending in laptop for repair?

2. What are the "F" keys for on my keyboard?

3. Unable to remove USB device with safe removal feature
Help your fellow members
1. Vista won't let me remove programs!

2. Hard drive spontaneously filling up

3. Vista startup problem.

4. Need excellent camera that takes night and panoramic pictures

5. Windows Explorer search driving me crazy

6. New budget desktop suggestions

7. Setting up a wireless network for my hotel
 AVG forum on CNET!
AVG and CNET have team up to create this forum so that members can discuss, ask questions about all AVG products and get assistance from other CNET forum members and directly from members of the AVG team. So if you got AVG questions, troubles, or tips and tricks, join in the new AVG forum now.

 Check out the AVG forum on CNET!



More from the CNET forums
 Windows Vista  Windows XP  Digital cameras
 Desktops  Laptops  MP3 players
 Home audio & video  Spyware, viruses, & security  View all forums

You are receiving this e-mail because you indicated you wanted product updates and information from technology vendors when you provided your e-mail address to CNET. Your e-mail address has not been, and will not be, given to any third parties.

The e-mail address for this newsletter is  tremeex@gmail.com
To update your email address, please visit our Newsletter subscription center.

Unsubscribe from this e-mail | Newsletter help | Privacy policy


Copyright 2010 CBS Interactive Inc. All rights reserved. CNET, CNET.com and the CNET logo are registered trademarks of CBS Interactive Inc. Used by permission.
CBS Interactive Inc. 235 Second Street, San Francisco, CA 94105, U.S.A.

CNET

No comments:

Blog Archive