Friday, February 19, 2010

What's your take on online backup services?

Add newsletters@cnet.online.com to your address book to ensure CNET newsletters reach your inbox.

CNET Reviews
February 19, 2010
What's your take on online backup services?

Dear CNET members,

Happy Friday! This week's topic touches upon the subject of online backup services. But before you decide to hang up on this discussion because you just don't think it applies to you, I wanted to let you know that the recommendations and advice offered by our members extend beyond online backup solutions and you may just find some of this information useful.

Sandy, your question was a long one, but I think you asked all the right questions in order to get your fellow members' thoughts and experience on using online backup services. And if you read through this week's answers, you'll find a bunch of great suggestions, not only for services available online, but also for solutions that you could possible manage physically without going online. I know eventually this is a service I will look into for myself as my backups are just getting larger and it's always great to learn of other backups alternatives. Several online services were mentioned, but by far the two most mentioned were Carbonite and Mozy, and I think that given the shared experience and opinions of a few of these services, you'll be able to make a sound decision as to which service to go with.

Many of our members also offered alternatives to online backup solutions and shared how they back up their data. To get you all started, I have selected a few members' answers in the Q&A section to get the conversation going, but if you have more information or tips to share on this topic, by all mean please be our guest and bring it on. Have a great weekend and thank you all for your contributions!

Cheers!
- Lee


Got suggestions? Send me an e-mail: messageboards@cnet.com

Lee Koo
Lee Koo
CNET Community manager
Last week's question
What's your take on online backup services?
QuestionI truly enjoy the Friday afternoon (well, evening in my part of the country) newsletters. I seem to learn tons and tons about things that I never knew I wanted (or needed) to know! So many times I archive the questions because I know that I'll need to know that soon, or I had that exact same question before--and probably will again. Or, more often than not, the question is timely for my own issues, and I get to try out the suggestions right away. This is an AMAZING group!

I have never written before, but I want to get the group's collective wisdom on online backup services (Carbonite.com just to use an example). I have had two fatal hard-drive failures in the last year. While I use an external hard drive to back up data (most of the time), I am starting to really think about using an online backup service. That said, I am trying to understand the various services that these companies offer versus the costs (I am concerned about cost--an external hard drive is relatively cheap... Click here to read entire question.

-- Submitted by: Sandy C. of Media, PA

AnswerFeatured member solutions
for last week's question:

 "First, know what kind of backup you are looking for "
-- Submitted by: mijcar

 "Reliable, fast, and affordable "
-- Submitted by: charleswsheets

 "Online backup - pros and cons "
-- Submitted by: anuchoksey

 "Multiple protection levels "
-- Submitted by: fivecentfamily

 "Some are better than others... "
-- Submitted by: Doh_1

 "Mozy.com has worked well for me "
-- Submitted by: theperfectk

 Read all member contributions

 Thanks to all who contributed!

Previous questions and answers
1. Please help me find a cost-effective way to secure my flash drive

2. Windows XP: How do I completely remove items in my start-up folder?

3. I accidentally deleted the files on my SD card. How can I recover them?

4. What is a simple way to convert old VHS tapes to DVDs?

5. Video card performance deteriorated in a short period of time, please help!

 All previous Community newsletters
Community buzz
1. Windows 7: Compatibility issues with ALL my peripheral devices

2. Buying advice for new laptop: quality company & Intel Core i5 vs. i7?

3. Recent Windows updates causing BSOD

4. Am I being too paranoid about online banking?

5. Best prepaid cell phone service

6. Isn't one security app, such as Avast 5, AVG, etc. enough?

7. eReader or Netbook or something else?

 More from the CNET forums

Mac nugget
1. Why is my hard-drive space disappearing?

2. Changed RAM and hard drive on iBook G4, now it's not working

3. Apple bans users who have hacked iPhones or iPods

4. MacBook white unibody trackpad smoothness "juddery"

 More from the Mac OS forum
Security alerts and updates
1. Microsoft Security Bulletin summary for February 2010

2. News - February 19, 2010

3. Virus and spyware alerts - February 19, 2010

4. Updates - February 19, 2010

5. Vulnerabilities and fixes - February 19, 2010

 More from the security forum
Check out next week's question:
Help me keep my Windows 7 machine running lean, clean, and mean
Next week's questionA few years back, you published a terrific piece of information on how to keep your Windows XP running lean, clean, and mean. That discussion proved to be incredibly helpful in keeping my computer state healthy all these years and I'm grateful for all the advice from your members.

Well, today I have moved on to a new computer with Windows 7 and I would like revisit those good housekeeping practices. If you can please provide me with a checklist with details of the things necessary of keeping this new machine running smoothly, I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance!

-- Submitted by: Luis O. of San Juan, Puerto Rico

  Know the answer? Click here to submit it!

Have a tech-related question?
Click here to e-mail us on one of these topics:

· PC troubleshooting
· PC upgrading
· Digital music
· Consumer electronics
· Multimedia
· Internet security
· Digital cameras
· Home audio & video

Need help tech right away? Don't wait for us, post your questions in the CNET forums for all the tech help and how-tos.
Quick pollCommunity quick poll
Weigh in on this week poll topic!
Disregarding the amount of data, would you trust an online backup service with your important data?

(Please click on button to vote)

 Absolutely. (Why are you so sure?)
 I already have, I'm using online backup service now. (What's holding you back?)
 Not sure yet, I'm still contemplating the services. (Which company do you use and why?)
 I'm a skeptic, but heck, I'm a skeptic even about any online transaction. (Please explain.)
 Never. (Why not?)

Vote and discuss it here!
Simple question, simple answer
1. DVD-R labels causing noise and some picture freezing

2. Copy protecting CD-Rs containing Word documents and images

3. USB 3.0, any idea when it will appear on desktops?

4. Digital camera vs. cell phone camera: Same megapixels, drastically different file size?

5. Windows: How to avoid infection completely?

6. Laptop slow-down when playing new games
Help your fellow members
1. Internet Explorer 8 keeps crashing or freezing

2. PC's temperature rises and shuts down immediately

3. Can't use disk defragmenter because CHKDSK error

4. Is LED HDTV worth the extra price?
CNET TechTracker - Keep your software up to date.  Click to get more info.

More from the CNET forums
 Windows Vista  Windows XP  Digital cameras
 Desktops  Laptops  MP3 players
 Home audio & video  Spyware, viruses, & security  View all forums

You are receiving this e-mail because you indicated you wanted product updates and information from technology vendors when you provided your e-mail address to CNET. Your e-mail address has not been, and will not be, given to any third parties.

The e-mail address for this newsletter is  tremeex@gmail.com
To update your email address, please visit our Newsletter subscription center.

Unsubscribe from this e-mail | Newsletter help | Privacy policy


Copyright 2010 CBS Interactive Inc. All rights reserved. CNET, CNET.com and the CNET logo are registered trademarks of CBS Interactive Inc. Used by permission.
CBS Interactive Inc. 235 Second Street, San Francisco, CA 94105, U.S.A.

CNET

No comments:

Blog Archive