Wednesday, August 6, 2008

What are the dos and don'ts for using public Wi-Fi?




Happy Friday folks! I hope everyone is doing well. This week's topic is on the safety concerns of using public Wi-Fi (wireless fidelity) and was submitted by Margaret. For those of you who are new to using Wi-Fi publicly, pay attention because there is a lot of great information provided by our members that will likely help you learn the dos and don'ts. Let's get started.

Public Wi-Fi access (free or paid) is one of those services that I find invaluable, and I really can't imagine being without it now. In fact, a few times in an emergency, it saved me because I dearly needed Internet access. Margaret, I remember the first time I used public Wi-Fi access. I was skeptical and hesitant and never knew what to expect; after all, it was public and information in the airwaves can be captured. So I'm glad you asked and shared your concerns and want to know more about this topic. While I will let our members' answers address your questions (a few picks below in the Q&A), I do have a few pointers that I'd like to share. Margaret, you ultimately are the first line of defense for staying safe and a little common sense goes a long way. So make sure you have a firewall set up and running. Keep your antivirus protection up to date and your sensitive data secured--even separately on a drive that is not connected to your laptop when accessing public Wi-Fi. Free Wi-Fi service is great. Paid Wi-Fi may be a bit safer (offering you better protection since most have encryption in place), but a wired connection is always best. But then again, wired or wireless--there are no guarantees. And when accessing public Wi-Fi (free or paid), don't transmit anything that you wouldn't write on a postcard and send for the world to see, unless it is absolutely necessary. So with that said, good luck with your first experience, and I hope it is a positive one.

We have many great answers in place for you from our members--ranging from technical setup to ensuring your safety for using public Wi-Fi to some general good practices. So read on up and learn! For all members, if you have any additional dos and don'ts about accessing public Wi-Fi, please join us in this week's discussion and share a little about your public Wi-Fi experiences--good or bad. The more we advise one another, the more we'll all be safer using public Wi-Fi services with confidence. Thanks everyone! And have a great weekend!

No comments:

Blog Archive