Friday, December 2, 2011

Time for a new PC, desktop or laptop?

Add newsletters@cnet.online.com to your address book to ensure CNET newsletters reach your inbox.
 
CNET Community Help
   
 
View online  |  Share on Facebook   |  Share on Twitter
December 2, 2011

 
 
Lee Koo Lee Koo
Community manager
Profile Email
Time for a new PC, desktop or laptop?

Dear CNET members,

Happy Friday! If any of you are stuck trying to make a decision between buying a desktop or buying a laptop for your main computer, then this week's discussion is for you. Our members came through in a big way, and offer up a bunch of buying advice, suggestions, and recommendations. Many explained the pros and cons of laptops versus desktops, and the limitations of both in detail. One idea to highlight: if you decide to go the laptop route, keep in mind that along with portability, also comes the chance you might drop it, spill your drink into it, lose it, or get it stolen.

I have selected a few answers in the Q&A section to get you started. There are really no wrong answers here--only great advice--so give all our members' recommendations a read. Everyone who participated deserves a pat on the back for a job well done. I'm sure by the time you get through all the advice that making a sound buying decision will be a snap! Thanks everyone, and have a safe and happy weekend.

Cheers!
-Lee


 
  Got suggestions? Send me an e-mail: messageboards@cnet.com  

   TOPIC OF THE WEEK
  Q: Time for a new PC, desktop or laptop?
It is time to replace my 7-and-a-half year old desktop PC, which is running XP. It has been having some weird hardware issues recently, like crashing (blue screen of death) every time I close my CD tray. I just don't have the expertise to figure out what's wrong, nor do I think it worth the investment to have a professional look into it.

My question is this: Is there any clear advantage to replacing it with a desktop instead of laptop? What are the advantages to having a laptop versus a desktop or vice versa? I'm a part-time college instructor (retired from my real job) and am not into gaming, so I don't require a lot of horsepower, but I do work with several applications open simultaneously. Thank you.

   -- Submitted by: John H.
  A: Featured member solutions
 
"It's a Matter of Choice or Rather The Right Fit For You"
-- Submitted by: ajtrek
"Desktop vs. Laptop"
-- Submitted by: thomasterrible
"It depends on your needs/wishes "
-- Submitted by: Dysalot
"There are pros and cons on both fronts..."
-- Submitted by: Wolfie2k5
"Laptop vs. Desktop "
-- Submitted by: High Desert Charlie
 
Read all member contributions
  Thanks to all who contributed!
  PREVIOUS COMMUNITY NEWSLETTERS
 
My friend got scammed; please help make her PC safe again

Help, my computer just won't shut down

Do you have the right weapons to deal with spam and phishing scams?

What's with all the activity on my PC, when I'm not doing anything?

E-book choices, oh my!

 
All previous Community newsletters
 
  COMMUNITY BUZZ
 
 
Should I have multiple Windows user accounts on my PC for privacy?

Is there a difference in flash drives?

If you bought a smartphone recently, which one and why?

Ultrabook/Ultraportable alternative

Google 'talking' to Amazon

 
More from the CNET forums
 
  MAC NUGGET
 
 
Can I delete Lion install Leopard in a new MacBook Pro?

Migration Assistant hangs

iBook G4: Battery running down when computer is off

 
More from the Mac OS forum
 
  SECURITY ALERTS AND UPDATES
 
 
Security news

Updates

Vulnerabilities and fixes

 
More from the security forum
  NEXT WEEK'S QUESTION
  Q: Buy a new digital camera or just go with a smartphone with camera?
I've had my digital camera for more than 4 years and I'm ready to upgrade. It seems like cameras in smartphones are just as good now as what I have in my old point-and-shoot--probably better. I've seen great photos from my friends that were taken on their phones. The photos I take are family events and vacations. I don't do any high-end photography. Is it better to upgrade to a smartphone for pictures or buy a separate camera? Are smartphones going to make the point-and-shoot camera extinct? Your advice is appreciated.

   -- Submitted by: Carol S.

If you have an answer to this question, click here and click the "reply" to submit your advice, suggestions, opinions, or tips.
 
 Have a tech-related question?
Click here to e-mail us on one of these topics:
· PC troubleshooting
· PC upgrading
· Digital music
· Consumer electronics
· Multimedia
· Internet security
· Digital cameras
· Home audio & video
Need help tech right away? Don't wait for us, post your questions in the CNET forums for all the tech help and how-tos.
 
 Community Quick Poll
Community Quick Poll
On average, how often do you replace your home computer?
Please click on button to vote
 Less than a year (Why so frequently?)
 1 to 2 years
 3 to 4 years
 5 to 6 years
 7 to 8 years (Why so infrequently?)
 9+ years (Does it still run?)
 Only when it completely breaks down
 I haven't yet; I continue to upgrade the components.
Vote and discuss it here!
 

  SIMPLE QUESTION, SIMPLE ANSWER
 
 
What is a good black and white laser printer for a home office?

Can anything go wrong with my hard drive?

Windows AutoPlay prompt gone

Photos on Picasa publicly being displayed

  HELP YOUR FELLOW MEMBERS
 
 
How should I begin my career in IT?

How to fix burn in on LCD TV?

How do I change the name of my iPhone in my computer?

Connect one DVD player to multiple LCDs

 

  MORE FROM THE CNET FORUMS
 
  Windows 7

 
  Desktops

 
  Home audio & video

 
  Windows XP

 
  Laptops

 
  Spyware, viruses, & security

 
  Digital cameras

 
  Tablets

 
  View all forums

 
 
 
Like CNET on Facebook Follow CNET on Twitter LinkedIn Follow CNET on LinkedIn
 
The e-mail address for this newsletter is tremeex@gmail.com
To update your account, please visit our Newsletter subscription center.
Unsubscribe from this e-mail | Newsletter help | Privacy policy

Copyright 2011 CBS Interactive Inc. All rights reserved.

CBS Interactive, 235 Second Street, San Francisco, CA 94105, U.S.A.
 

No comments:

Blog Archive